Choose now to live your Life in Balance. Beauty. Harmony.
... Welcome to Angels By The Sea: where Intuition Meets Nutrition.
beautiful new website here
come let's hang out on facebook for gorgeous community
and for feng shui: here, always.
I'd love to know what's going on with You? Psychic coaching? you'll get- and learn- it here!

Tuesday, June 16, 2009

Sweet from Sour

One of those "how unfair!" moments has just happened and I've wondered how to deal with it. One of the fun aspects of having trained in NLP is the ability it gives you to switch focus by asking such empowering questions as, "How else could I look at this?" when you expected a slice of Limoncello cake... but life gives you a squirt in the eye.


Details aren't neccessary, but I'll tell you that I was a complete numpty. It's too easy for me to call myself a failure, a time-waster, and a wee westrel for my silly mistake.

But why should I do that? Even if these accusations have a smidge of truth, it will only make me feel terrible.

There's wonderful power harnessed when you consciously decide what a challenge means to your life experience. Instead of remaining beetroot with dismay, I'm going to ask myself, "What lovely things willl I be able to experience now I have to wait a while longer?" I feel, honestly, as if there is a reason linked in with the universe for this. Explaining it this way helps me feel good. I thank the angels because they were there- I asked them to be- and somehow, even if I can't see it yet, they've really helped me.

Another fun little game was deciding what to do to Celebrate the squirt of lemon. I think I will turn this sour episode into a delicious sweet by baking a Limoncello cake. Recipe below! May even make a list of 100 things I will enjoy doing in lieu of what I was hoping to achieve- whilst it's in the oven.

Limoncello Cake
Serves 8, from
Italian Cooking & Living

For the sponge cake:
1 tablespoon unsalted butter
1 1/4 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
2 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1/8 teaspoon salt
5 eggs, separated
1 1/4 cups sugar
grated zest of 1 lemon (optional)
2 teaspoons vanilla extract

For the limoncello cream:
9 eggs yolks

1/2 cup sugar
1/8 teaspoon salt
1/3 cup plus 1 tablespoon limoncello
1 cup whipping cream

For garnish:
2 1/2 cups whipping cream

1 1/4 cups sugar

To layer:
6 tablespoons limoncello


For the sponge cake:
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Generously butter a 10” springform pan. Sift together the flour, baking powder, and salt in a bowl; set aside.
Beat the egg yolks and sugar in an electric mixer using the whisk attachment until thick and pale yellow on high speed for 2 minutes.
Reduce to medium speed: slowly add 5 tablespoons of boiling water; the lemon zest and vanilla. Return to high speed; beat for 5 minutes or until thick. Add the flour mixture, little by little, still beating with the whisk attachment.
Turn out into a bowl.
Beat the egg whites in a clean bowl until stiff peaks form. Fold into the egg yolk mixture with a rubber spatula, being careful not to deflate it.
Spoon the batter into the prepared pan and bake for 30 minutes, or until golden brown.
Cool on a rack and slice into three layers with a serrated knife.

For the limoncello cream:
Beat the egg yolks, sugar, and salt in a large stainless steel bowl over a pot of simmering water. Whisk in the limoncello. Whisk vigorously for 5 minutes, or until the mixture is thick and triples in volume.
Remove and let cool over a seperate bowl filled with ice cubes, continue to whisk until completely cooled. Beat the cream until soft peaks form. Fold into the limoncello mixture; refrigerate until needed.

For the garnish:

Beat the cream until soft peaks form in an electric mixture; add 1/4 cup of the sugar by the spoon until all is incorporated; beat until firm. Refrigerate.

Layer the cake:
Place the bottom layer of one cake on a serving platter. Brush with 2 tablespoons of the limoncello using a pastry brush.
Top with one-quarter of the limoncello cream, spreading it almost to the edges.
Continue with this procedure with the second layer, Finish with the top cake layer; turning it upside down first, to brush on the limoncello. Using a metal spatula, cover the top and sides of the cake with the whipped cream.

The sweet and the sour: this is what makes great art. -Ward Jenkins

No comments: