A few new friends & I enjoyed the most delicious Jamie at Home Party last night.
When you host a Jamie At Home, it's not compulsory you're a dynamite DIY cook- a bag of crisps and some cut up carrots would be enough! Guests that don't bring their own wine are after a glass of water or cup of tea- easy!- and the conversation is aways. So. Good.
I'm experimenting with food these days. The experiment is to take the tastes we love; the tastes we may be secretly addicted to; and ease us ourselves out of it gently. So I home-made these muffin-tin quiches for the party. Aren't they cute? Leek & cheese, salt n pepper the only filling.
Yes, I used ready-roll puff pastry. But it's a really healthy take on any store-bought alternative filled with g-knows-what.
They are lacto-ovo vegetarian (check your pastry to make sure it doesn't contain animal fats) and low sugar, too.
See the crispy bottoms?
I used 2/3 block "just-rol" or enough thin refrigerated puff-pastry discs to fill 18 regular muffin-pan holes.
- Pre-heat the oven to 200/380
- Lightly grease & flour a muffin baking tray. Using a large mug (Jamie's Mug in a Tin works perfect!) or pastry cutter, place pastry discs in the muffin tray. The pastry discs need only to come up a quarter or half of the sides of the muffin space as it puffs up and protects/forms remarkably!
- Pierce the bottoms of the "muffins" with a fork and pre-bake in your oven for 10 mins. Meanwhile...
- Bring a small fry-pan to medium heat. Add 1 teaspoon butter with a tiny bit of olive oil (prevents the butter burning) Slice 1 large leek up to the darker green bit, and sautee in the butter/oil, gently, for 10 mins. We want the leeks softly brown.
- Whisk 4 large eggs with a fork or egg whisk in a jug. Season with salt n pepper. Grate 100g cheddar cheese into the mixture and stir to combine.
- Pull the muffin tray from the oven. Add about a teaspoon of leeks to each pastry, and top with a tablespoon or more of the egg n cheese mixture.
- Pop back in the oven for 15-20 minutes until pastry is brown around the edges... now, you'll have a delightful mini-quiche bubbling with melted cheese! delicious served with a green salad and fresh tomato salsa.
I really enjoy sharing with you healthy inexpensive dishes for entertaining! We were just 4 ladies and hostess Anna got to order £40 of goodies at no charge from the Jamie Oliver catalogue. Hope to share a party with you soon! send me a message here to get one before Christmas!
What do you take, or make, for a party that's inexpensive with a healthy twist? Do share with us, as party season begins! Pop your comments below!